Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Solar Power

In the search to provide Liberia with sustainable power, Creative, has donated solar powered radios and lanterns for teachers and students to use in their night classes for overage war affected youth. The teachers use the radios to tune into teacher training broadcasts and the students use the lanterns to keep fuel costs low by not running the generators. (gas over 4.40 a gallon) The technology is still expensive but is sustainable! I think more of it should be used in reaching Liberia's remotest areas with light.

6 comments:

Raquel said...

I thought about the same thing - but with panels. A missionary friend told me that there's are only useful in the dry season...

what do you think?

Justus said...

depends on the technology, some panels still gather UV rays even in cloudy days(just like you can still get a sunburn in cloudy days) Yes, it is less efficient during the rainy season, but with gas over 4.30 a gallon the cost of generators are expensive when you factor in maintenance

ELF said...

Do you know of any small scale projects in Monrovia or the cost associated with buying/setting up solar panels to supplement a diesel generator? I am in the research stage right now, but I would like to initiate a solar project for my organization. Thanks for posting and I look forward to any leads that you may have. Thanks! EF

Unknown said...

Hello Gradma and Pa,

Are you still interested in solar panels in Liberia, or doing business there?

I am involved in a little start up involving solar panels in Liberia.

Unknown said...

Hello Sam, I'm looking into the possibly purchasing some solar panels for use in Liberia. If you have anymore info about your start up, please let me know.

tisanjosh said...

Great post full of good insight. Free electricity will not be around forever, so now is the time to enquire and act. Alternative Energy Companies really helped us.